Sunday, November 8, 2009

SAINT DEMETRIUS OF THESSALONIKI


Icon used with permission from: Ikonen Galerie Sophia, Benedicte Oehry, Wittergasse 10, CH-8001 Zurich, Switzerland
Tel./Fax: +41 (0)1 2 12 12 90 , e-mail: info@ikonen.ch

I take on an attempt to let an Icon of Saint Demetrius speak to me with fear and trepidation. I really struggled with this idea because St Demetrius’ story can be used to justify all kinds of cruelty to others.

According to Wikipedia and many other sites, Saint Demetrius of Thessaloniki (Thessalonica to Americas) was a 4th century martyr. He was the Patron Saint of Crusaders and one of the military saints. Icons of him often depict him dressed in upper class Roman general’s clothing alongside Saint George. St George is on a horse killing the dragon while St Demetrius while St Demetrius is killing a pagan giant.

Demetrius was a Roman noble man from Thessaloniki. He is thought to have been a general in the army of Emperor Galerius Maximianus (emperor from 305 to 311). He was a Christian in a world of pagans. When Maximianus returned to Thessaloniki (the capital at that time), he had pagan games to celebrate his victories. Demetrius spoke publically against these games. For his outspokenness, Demetrius was arrested.

While in prison, a young Christian named Nestor, came to him asking to be blessed so that he could defeat the giant, Lyaios. Demetrius blessed Nestor who went out and, like David, killed the giant. Emperor Maximianus became enraged at the news that his pagan hero had been killed by Nestor. The Emperor arrested Nestor. Since he knew that Demetrius was involved, Maximianus had both of them executed. Nestor was beheaded while Demetrius was impaled with a lance.
St Demetrius became a very important saint to the Slavic people of the Balkan and Russia.

Understand St Demetrius is not easy for someone like me who is opposed to wars. However, it does remind me of the time when I was a Chaplain in the US Army Reserve. I did not think of myself as a warrior. I thought of myself as a minister to warriors. I joined became I do believe that sometimes we do need to defend the Constitution. But that is not what I see in the works of St Demetrius. Most of us modern Christians cannot defend the Crusades of the middle ages.
Nevertheless, we do sing hymns such as “Onward Christian Soldiers”. There is always this thread in Christianity that describes us as warrior in the fight against Evil (however you understand that). I do struggle with this concept… mainly because it has been so misused throughout history. Whether it be with the Crusaders, or our Civil War, or more recently with the “war against terrorism.” Despite this ambivalence towards St Demetrius, I have to admire his courage when standing up against the “giant”, Emperor Maximianus.

It would be so easy to use Demetrius to make a political statement. I pray that you do not go there with this Saint.

19 Santuário de Nosa Senhora Aparecida, São Paulo

No comments:

Post a Comment