Monday, November 23, 2009

THE HOSPITALITY OF ABRAHAM




Historical, Cultural, and Religious Background:
In Genesis 18, we read about the encounter between Abraham and three Angels. In the text, they are never called "angles" but "men". However, tradition has inferred for the story that these were in fact Angels (in light of Geneses 19:1) where two of them are identified as Angels. Abraham consistently calls the third one "Lord".
Hospitality is a very important action in the Jewish tradition. They point to the example of Abraham and Sarah as the source of their belief in the importance of showing hospitality to strangers.

The Icon:
The Icon I am using shows the three angles sitting at the table with the Lord at the head. Abraham and Sarah are serving them water and freshly made bread. The three angles are pictures in the traditional way with wings.

Personal Journey:
I live most of the time in solitude never having anyone visit and rarely seeing anyone else on a day to day basis. I cannot say that I am lonely; I rather enjoy my solitude. That does not mean that I do not enjoy visits from others! I just wish they would stay longer.
When I wish young, my family was the only American family in our little city in the interior of Brazil. If there anyone from the USA in the city, we would very likely be their host. I cannot remember my parent's turning anyone away. Mom would cook a big meal; whoever was in the "guest room" would move out; Dad would visit with our guest(s). Specifically, I remember having a Roman Catholic Priest stay overnight with us. He was a war soul and did not seem to mind the difference in our faiths.

Message:
The message in this Icon is straightforward; its implementation into our modern culture is anything but. Our modern lives isolate each of us. Most of us expect visitors to call before visiting. "Drop-in" visits are a thing of the past. In the USA, a lot of us grew in families where we learned about the westward expansion of our ancestors seeking more "elbow room." We have a lot of room for improving our hospitality.

Rabbi Eve Ben-Ora asked an interesting question in one of his medications on the subject of Hospitality: "Do you consider being friends with someone of Facebook the same as showing hospitality?" My answer is that it can be. I know that I have a lot of "friends" to whom I marginally show hospitality in any significant meaning of the word. Never the less, Facebook has made it possible for me to reconnect with many childhood friends. Also, I have made many new ones. It is amazing how much Facebook can foster a sense of community. Along the same line, I am an administrator of a forum for people affected by cancer (www.cancerforums.net). Over the last four years, I have made so very dear friends there. We have been through so much together. Nevertheless, as I often tell them, "While virtual hugs are wonderful, there is nothing like a real hug!" The same thing goes for hospitality: Yes, Facebook and forums can be a way for us to express "virtual" hospitality but it is nothing compared to the real thing.



Icon found in several public sources including collections of the GreekOrthodox Archdiocese of America. 

22 Itajabá, Minas Gerais

1 comment: