Sunday, June 6, 2010

THE UNMERCENARIES



As someone who is very interested in and involved with health issues, the Unmercenaries have a special attaction for me. The two primary saints in this group are St Cyrus of Alexandria and St John of Edessa (Mesopotamia). Because of persectution, both ended up in the Gulf of Arabia area joining a group of monks already there. While there, they became very involved in caring for the sick. Their title comes from the fact that they refused payments for their services. Cyrus and John where beheaded in 292 CE.
Unlike other Icons, I have no problem identifying with this one. This small group of saints inspire me with their clear message of caring for others… especially in times of illness. From the time I was 13, I felt a deep concern for the sick. At first, I thought I would be a doctor. However, through a difficult journey, I ended up being a Hospital Chaplain… a calling that I very much enjoyed.


Icon found in several public sources including collections of the Saint Joseph Melkite Greek Catholic Church.


23 Cobacabana, Rio de Janeiro
 

No comments:

Post a Comment