Saturday, November 7, 2009

SAINT JOHN THE FORERUNNER



Saint John the Forerunner is a very interesting way to think about John the Baptist. It focuses our thoughts on his role as a prophet and predecessor of Christ. It takes us away from the details about his death. In this Icon, John is holding part of a scroll… maybe the part of Isaiah 40:3 where Isaiah said: "In the wilderness prepare the way of the Lord, make straight in the desert a highway for out God." John took this passage very literally and applied it to himself.
As I look at this icon, I wonder: " Was John living that way to identify with us living in our own wildernesses? I know that at times it feels like my life is in the wilderness, desolate and dry. But the difference is that I have not voluntarily or consciously chosen this life. Or maybe I have? Whether or not I have chosen this life, the difference between John and me (and a lot of us) is that John embraced his life; only the other hand, I have not. I fight against this life rather than learning from it.

To what extent are we forerunners of God's love for others?
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference."

Icon used with permission from: Ikonen Galerie Sophia, Benedicte Oehry, Wittergasse 10, CH-8001 Zurich, Switzerland, Tel./Fax: +41 (0)1 2 12 12 90, e-mail: info@ikonen.ch


17 Matriz de Tiradentes, Minas Gerais

No comments:

Post a Comment