Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving


This is the first Thanksgiving were I am totally alone. Last year, at least some of my siblings were here for part of the weekend. Dad had died just two months before so we gathered to divide the personal property and to talk about what next. It is not just being alone that I have to fight… it is also being lonely.


I was fortunate to have Elizabeth, Earl, and JP stop on their way to Earl's parent's home. I meet them at the restaurant at the intersection with I-65 so they could eat a Thanksgiving dinner with me and for me to hold JP. He is 4 ½ months old now and he has grown so much. I held him all through the meal and did not want to give him back for them to leave. That was my Thanksgiving J. I am very thankful that JP is part of our family. I do feel blessed.


Thanksgiving has always been my favorite Holiday… at least since I returned to the US. I owe a lot of that to Connie's parents. They adopted me when my parents were still in Brazil. I do love them even if I am not married to Connie anymore. I remember the Thanksgiving morning tradition of going "hunting" with Paul (Connie's father). The Fall weather in Western Tennessee is so nice. We usually just walked, hoping that the dog would flush out some doves for Paul to take a shot at. I remember him shooting his shotgun but, to my knowledge, he never killed anything. Then, we would drive around a little before going home.


By the time we got back, the women were a hubbub of activity in the kitchen. Uncles and Aunts, siblings and cousins would start to arrive throughout the day. There was always the visit to "the other side of the family." Most often, we ate with Joyce's family and visited with Paul's. We would get together with them later in the weekend to eat again.



HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO EVERYONE


No comments:

Post a Comment