Monday, November 19, 2007

Update On The Remodeling

I finally finished painting the room. I still need to clean the carpet and move back the furniture. In fact, this could be the hardest part of remodeling… deciding how to re-decorate the room. Do I put a new border? What pictures do I put in there? What about curtains? These questions and many others like them are not my strong suit. Plus the fact that I am very limited financially means that I have to make use of the items I already have. But the curtains really do need to be replaced.

Here are some more lessons for the rest of you first timers.

  • One can of primer and one can of your tented paint is cheaper than two cans of tented paint.

    • Corollary: Two coats of a cheap primer are better than one coat of expensive primer. This might take longer. However, you will not regret spending the time and effort… especially if you are painting a dark room a lighter color.

  • A sheet of plastic drop cloth is cheaper than repainting a bed or replacing carpet.
  • Use one roller for the primer and one for the tented paint. Two rollers are cheaper in the long run than trying to wash one roller. You will never totally clean the roller anyhow so why not start fresh?
  • A role (or two) of blue painter's tape is easier to apply than repainting the floorboards or window/door frames. However, as I learned, the tape CAN and DOES pull off the paint. I do not know if I did something wrong. Maybe the wood was painted with the wrong type of paint originally. I know that some paints do not adhere to other types of paint. Nevertheless, I ended up pulling off a significant amount of paint. In a previous life, I would try to paint the wood again. However, I think I will wait until at least after my Christmas guest leave.
  • A second person to help is cheaper than a trip to the Emergency Room. If you have problems with balance, do not try to paint using a step stool or a ladder. Get someone to help you or at least someone to call 911 for you. I was just lucky. More than once I almost fell because of my balance problem.
    • Corollary 1: Maintain three points of contact at all times (two feet and one hand or two hands and a foot). I learned this at a COPE class one summer at Boy Scout Camp with my son. Of course, in that case, one of our points of contact was the rope holding us up.
    • Corollary 2: A wet, freshly painted wall is not a good choice for any of your points of contact unless you like paint on your hand and just needed to paint that wall again.
    • Corollary 3: A ceiling can help you maintain your balance unless you have just overlooked what I said in Corollary 2.
  • Two cans of primary are cheaper than one can plus a trip back to the store to by a second one. Most cans of any paint list you much you can expect that paint to cover. Usually, that figure is pretty accurate if you calculate the square footage right and add 100 square feet to the result. The room I was painting was roughly a 12ft x 12ft room with 8ft ceilings. Therefore, I was painting 384 sq. ft of walls. Add 100 to that and you get 484 sq ft. A gallon of the primer and paint I used said they would cover 400 sq. ft. So, I bought two gallons of each. It took well over 1 ½ gallons of the primer and just a little over one gallon of the tinted paint.

Before

After

Back to work on the Cancer Forums for a while.










I am not sure why I like Apocalyptica so much, but I do. I am just amazed at what they can do with Cellos. It is acid rock on a Cello.


No comments:

Post a Comment